The congregation of the Daughters of the Holy Spirit was founded in Brittany, France, in 1706. Marie Balavenne and Rennee Burel, two ordinary women sensitive to the distress of the poor, formed together with Jean Leuduger, a priest of the Breton missions, the first small community of what was to become the Congregation of the Daughters of the Holy Spirit.
The sisters first arrived in England and Wales in 1902, and in Bedford in 1904, as a result of religious persecution in France, when many Congregations of Religious Sisters were forced to flee to other parts of Europe and North America.
From humble beginnings and despite times of difficulty and persecution, we are now present in Europe, North America and Africa.
For over a hundred years, our mission in Bedford has been nursing, social work, in parishes, in catechetics and education. Our Sisters taught for many years at the Convent School, Bromham Road, later St. Bede’s, Priory Street, St. Joseph’s, St. Gregory’s and St. John Rigby.
At present we are two sisters at Bradgate Road – Sisters Mae and Margaret. We try to live out our charism by responding to mission calls from our Religious congregation, the parish and the legacy left us by the countless Sisters who have lived and worked in this town and its environments since 1904!
Daughters of the Holy Spirit Family website: www.fillesstesprit.org
Daughters of the Holy Spirit, 24 Bradgate Road, Bedford MK40 3DE
Tel: 01234 214662